Indulge in the cultural essence of the Mekong Delta with Banh Xeo—a culinary masterpiece celebrated for its crispy, golden exterior and a decadent medley of stir-fried shrimp, meat, and bean sprouts, harmoniously paired with aromatic herbs. Explore the recipe below to recreate the authentic Mekong Delta-style Banh Xeo and savor the richness of this exquisite dish in your kitchen!
a. For the Pancake Batter:
- 250g Vietnamese pancake flour mix
- 50g crispy fried flour mix
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 chicken egg
- 1 can of beer or carbonated mineral water (500 ml)
- 100 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
b. For the Pancake Filling:
- 200g shrimp
- 200g pork belly
- 200g bean sprouts
- 1 onion
c. For the Pickles:
- 1/2 white radish
- 1/2 carrot
d. Spices: Fish sauce, salt, sugar, stock powder, pepper, lime, garlic, chili
e. Vegetables: Mustard greens, lettuce, coriander, basil, scallions, chives
f. Cooking oil or lard
a. Mixing the Pancake Batter
To achieve a crispy texture in the batter, follow these steps:
- Utilize 250g of pancake flour and 50g of crispy fried flour. Combine these with 100ml of coconut milk and filtered water, producing a liquid volume of 600 - 650ml.
- This batter quantity is ideal for 4 - 5 servings. Adjust the quantities accordingly if preparing a larger batch.
- In a spacious bowl, amalgamate pancake flour, crispy fried flour, turmeric powder, eggs, coconut milk, carbonated water, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and chopped scallions or chives.
- Stir the ingredients thoroughly until dissolved. Allow the batter to rest for approximately 30 minutes, ensuring a crispy texture upon frying.
b. Preparing the Filling
- Choose a fresh pork belly with a balanced mix of lean and fat, displaying a light pink hue. Alternatively, lean shoulder meat can be used as a substitute. Wash the meat thoroughly and cut it into thin pieces.
- Marinate the meat by adding half a teaspoon each of fish sauce, salt, stock powder, and pepper.
- For small shrimp, cut off the head and wash. If using large shrimp, peel them.
- Peel and slice the onion. Ensure the bean sprouts are thoroughly rinsed. Wash and drain fresh vegetables such as mustard greens, lettuce, coriander, and basil.
2. Cooking Process
a. Stir-frying the filling and assembling the pancakes
Begin by stir-frying the meat, then introduce the shrimp and cook until they achieve a vibrant red color. Season the mixture to taste and set the flavorful filling aside.
Check for Mekong Delta Package Tour.
Continuously, place a pan on high heat. Brush a thin layer of oil or use a piece of lard to establish a non-stick surface. Gradually reduce the heat to medium, then ladle the batter into the pan, ensuring an even tilt to shape a round pancake.
- Add the meat, shrimp, some bean sprouts, and onions. Cover and allow the filling to cook for about 1 to 1.5 minutes.
- Open the lid, and wait for the edges of the pancake to curl and lightly crisp. Apply a little more oil, then gently fold it in half to create a semi-circle shape, pressing down to enhance crispness.
- Flip it and fry the other side until crispy. Place the banh xeo on a clean plate. Repeat the process until all the batter is used.
b. Dipping Sauce and Pickles
- To prepare the dipping sauce, combine fish sauce, sugar, lime juice, and filtered water in a ratio of 1:1:1:5. In some regions, fresh coconut water is used instead of filtered water.
- Stir until the sugar completely dissolves, then add garlic and chili for a harmonious blend of sweet, sour, spicy, and salty flavors, with hints of garlic and chili.
- For the pickles, grate or slice white radish and carrots. Marinate them with a pinch of salt, sugar, and vinegar for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
Arrange the Banh Xeo pancakes on a tray, accompanied by fresh vegetables, herbs, pickles, and a side of sweet and sour fish sauce. For the best experience, enjoy Banh Xeo while it's hot. Grab a piece, wrap it in rice paper, dip it in the sweet and sour fish sauce, and relish the delightful combination.
- These pancakes boast a thin, crispy, golden crust.
- Inside, they are filled with the delightful combination of sweet shrimp, flavorful fatty pork, crunchy bean sprouts, and subtle hints of coconut milk and green onions.
- Mekong Delta-style pancakes are known for their large size, thin edges, and thicker center.
- Filling choices are flexible, including shrimp, meat, seafood, eggs, and more.
- Ensure a thin batter for crispiness; beer or carbonated water helps achieve the desired texture.
- Traditionally, pancakes are lined with fresh banana leaves for a unique fragrance.
- Serve with a variety of vegetables and herbs, enhancing the overall experience.
Plan your trip to Vietnam here.
As the Largest Aviation-Tourism corporation in the country, Vietravel consistently provides high-standard services at the most competitive prices so that you can discover the beauty of not only Vietnam but all of Southeast Asia.
Please contact us for more information
Vietravel – Asia’s Leading Tour Operator
Hotline: (84) 35 235 61 61
Email: [email protected]
#VietravelAsia #Vietravel #Vietnam #BanhXeo #MekongDeltaFood